Your Say

Text Box:           Marine Park First School

Your Say

Marine Park First School
Park Road
Whitley Bay
United Kingdom, NE26 1LT

Tel: 0191 2008723

[email protected]

Back to Your Say PageParents' Forum Meeting 3/7/12
Back to the "Your Say" contents page

Parents’ Forum 3.7.12

At the start of the meeting: As everybody that came attended the last meeting it was not necessary to go over roles and expectations. Notes were kept by Mr. Easton and will be shared with staff, governors and the wider school community via the website.

 

4.45-5.45.

 

In attendance:

Angela Malan Revell (Parent/carer of a child in YR)

Stephen Easton (Headteacher)

Matt Leach (Parent/carer of a child in YR)

Jill Bates (Assistant Headteacher and Reception class teacher)

Sally Williams (HLTA and staff governor)

Mairead Kirby (Parent/carer of a child in Y4)

Follow-up to last meeting

Homework– videos for maths now on Parentzone of website

Extra Curricular Activities—more activities for Reception pupils rolled out as the year progressed

RE/collective worship- staff and governors informed through note of last meeting, suggestions incorporated in equality plan, assembly records being kept to note for gaps in multi-cultural/faiths.

Uniform– wider consultation and red uniform to be phased in

Submissions to this meeting from parents

· Bullying policy

· Support and understanding for parents of children with additional needs

· Overheating of the school building and provision of cold water fountains

· The school should accommodate working parent more ensuring that they do not feel excluded from school events– especially information meetings by putting them after school

· Nursery intake– discuss a quicker integration of Nursery children into a new academic year group. It currently takes nearly a month before all children start– could this be shortened?

· Science club– science in school

· School raised the equality plan

 

Science

A parent mentioned that a large science festival was due to be held in Newcastle in September 2013. She described the significance of this festival and the opportunities it presented e.g. Eminent speakers and workshops suitable for first school age children.

School keen to capitalise on opportunity but would need to check that it was on when school was back and not during first, important couple of weeks when settling a  new class.

Action

Head to pass on information to Science Coordinator to allow for contact to be made during 12-13 academic year in readiness for September 2013.

Bullying

Discussion about prevalence of bullying. Discussion about bullying v disruptive, not on purpose, targeted acts. Consensus was that parents present had no concerns and had faith in school in relation to bullying and felt this was backed up by wider parental questionnaires and school monitoring

Building Temperature

Water fountains

There were some concerns raised about the high temperature at times in some classrooms. Staff described the school design and responsibilities for building control that rest with MITIE. Checks and reading are taken but system slow to respond and not always effectively managed. School staff sought to rectify by improving ventilation in classrooms. Pupils encouraged to bring water into school each day. Water fountains not discussed by forum at the meeting.

Action

School to pass on temperature concerns to MITIE at next meeting due to take place on 6/7/12

Parents’ Forum 3.7.12

Support and understanding for parents of children with additional needs

Not discussed in this forum.

The school should accommodate working parent more ensuring that they do not feel excluded from school events– especially information meetings by putting them after school

Discussion centred around the difficulty of getting it right for everyone. Recognition that there was a balance of activities. Discussion about varying attendance levels for in school and after school events. Attendance was typically better in school time. Forum advised that a summary of the key points would be sent out to all parents via their child’s folder following the Parent Information Meeting to inform parents not able to attend and that school was always willing to meet parents should the need arise.! The forum felt (and school agreed) that more notice about the Information Meetings could have been provided (approx 2 weeks was given) to maximise the time parents had to make arrangements to attend.

Action

School to provide more notice next year prior to information meetings.

Nursery intake– discuss a quicker integration of Nursery children into a new academic year group. It currently takes nearly a month before all children start– could this be shortened?

The rationale and organisation was described. Visits took place in first 4 days. 70 pupils were then admitted over a 12 day period, oldest first. The primary aim was for pupils to settle well in order to secure the foundations for successful learning. Parents felt that they would welcome it if it was a quicker process but felt that the process made sense and that how their child settled was of paramount importance. The school advised the forum that many schools took longer to admit a smaller cohort of pupils.

One parent raised a query about the rigour of proof of address checks when the admission process was being administered.

Action

School to explore the rigour of proof of address checks for admission year 2013-14

Equality Plan

School shared equality plan and outlined the measures it had taken to create plan. Parents asked for thoughts and suggestions. Discussion about equality on the basis of socio-economic factors. E.g. Uniform and trips.

Forum discussed expectations with regard to unifying colour but no obligation to purchase uniform from school supplier. Discussion if a sew on badge could be sold. Discussion about great value of trips, voluntary contributions, viability of trips and Governor decision to cease transporting pupils to swimming baths as of September 2012.

Action

School to check and consider opportunity to include a equality action on the basis of socio-economic factors.

School to explore option of sew on badge.

Family Credits

High level of support for the use of family credits.

They helped to integrate pupils of different ages and were very positive.

One parent asked if trip/prize could be half-termly due to potential long wait for a prize.

School would consider some sort of half termly recognition but the trips took considerable organisation so this was unlikely to be feasible. Also the significance of the prize was what made it so special to win!!

Sports’ Days

Positive feedback about sports days. High level of organisation was noted. Atmosphere and reinforcement of Olympic values were well received.

Action

Head to pass on appreciation to Claire Milburn and all staff at next weekly briefing.

Summing up

Parent/carers were thanked for attending. They were asked if they found the forum worthwhile and if they would consider attending future meetings. Very low attendance was noted. Parents asked for as much notice as possible for future meetings.

 

Notes of the meeting were sent to parents/carers, staff that attended before they were published on the school website and shared with Governors/staff.